Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Frustrations of a would be "Mother"

A friend of mine recently suggested I start posting a blog about the rollercoster ride of becoming a foster/adoptive parent. I thought I'd give it a shot. I think it might just help elevate some of the frustration this process has put our family and me personally through.

In our family my husband and I play certain roles. Although our roles often switch, or ebb and flow, it's a common understanding that I'm the one that kids like best. I'm the favorite Aunt. I'm the one that children seem to flock to. Maybe it's because when they look at me with those eyes, my heart just bursts and I can refuse them nothing.

This past weekend, we had a visit from Amanda and Jason and their three beautiful children. Liam and Harry are so fun loving and great kids. Molly their youngest is 20 months old and has stolen my husbands heart. On Friday Night, the Carter Clan went to a Rockies Baseball Game here in Denver and Molly wanted nothing to do with anyone else. She was so content to sit on Carter's lap and enjoy the baseball game with her Uncle and Grandpa. Several times I was so overcome with emotion and had to look away. I finally had my breakdown today after Amanda and Jason left.

It seems that parenthood is so far out of our grasp. Watching my husband and seeing him interact with his young niece knowing he desperately wants children of his own is heart wrenching. Seeing him on the floor with his nephews playing legos pulls at my heartstrings in so many ways.

I'm still not sure why we are going through this trial, or why it's been so difficult for us, but I know this, Carter is such an amazing man and I'm in awe of him on a daily basis.

3 comments:

Naomi said...

My heart breaks for you, Sariah! It is so strange to me how it happens that people who would be such amazing parents to a whole flock of children somehow have to wait for that dream to come true. But it will come! You are always in my prayers. And you guys will appreciate your miracles that much more for having to wait so long for them.

Amanda said...

Molly LOVES her Uncle Aaron. She doesn't attach to anyone like that.
And you Sariah have a way with Harrison that I have never seen before. Harrison is a very difficult child and he was butter in your hands. You guys deserve kids more than anyone I know.
As I told Aaron, Minnesota has no laws against surrogacy and I would do that for you guys in a heartbeat. I grow nice healthy babies.
We love you!!!!!

Jenny said...

I'm sorry about your struggles. So did you guys decide against foster/adopt. It's been a challenge at times but well worth it. I would do it again. We love you guys and you are the one of our favorite couples we know! You'll be great parents when it happens!