Wednesday, July 13, 2005

Harry Who?

In a rare post, here is something that I think is right with the world.

This week sees the release of a new Harry Potter book, number 6 in the 7 volume series, Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince. I wonder if people were as excited in anticipation of the release of each Narnia or OZ book.

Once again I will be waiting in line at a bookstore near me at midnight Friday. I love the hype, I love the excitement. I love hanging out with hundreds of other like minded parents and kids who just can't wait for the next chapter in Harry's unfortunate life.

And, one of the things about it all that I like the most, is that all this excitement is for a book. It's not for a movie, it's not for a new rock 'n' roll album, it's not for concert tickets. And not just any book, it's a book with good wholesome family values, morals and life lessons. I don't think there's been any other popular release in any format that has been more deserving of all this attention. If only other authors, filmmakers, and musicians would take a cue from J. K. Rowling and find a way to inspire the minds of the young and old everywhere.

No comments: